Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Trout Season - Opening Day 2014

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by mlotziii, Mar 23, 2014.

1. mlotziii

mlotziii Administrator Staff Member

Opening day is almost here! Only six more days until it is legal to get a line wet.

I've been getting all my gear cleaned up and ready for the day. I also am hoping to get some good video footage and ordered a few accessories for my GoPro camera.

Looking to catch some nice rainbows. Any trout fishing tips you want to share?

2. mlotziii

opening-day.jpg Opening day went incredibly well. I went out a day ahead of the season opener with my GoPro camera mounted to a 9-foot fishing pole to scout some of the underwater structure and see what fish were holding in the unseen depths. This method proved very helpful as in 8 or 10 of the deep currents I inspected I found a few fish but in one of them I saw dozens and dozens of trout stacked up underneath some structure. This would be the trout hole I fished on opening day.

At 5am, I was walking down the old railroad bed which now serves as a running and cycling trail. By 5:20am I was standing stream side waiting for the sun to come up. Once it was light enough to see to be able to cast along the underwater structure it was on.

I started with corn kernels,... no bites.
    I switched to a whole nightcrawler,... a few small nibbles -- probably creek chubs.
    So I figured why not try powerbait? I've never used powerbait before so why not give it a try,... immediate strike and hooked trout.

The rest of the morning was followed by hooking one trout after another. It was maybe 5-7 minutes between catches. My father and I quickly had 10 trout on a stringer and were headed back to our cars.

While I was reeling in the fish I was able to catch some great video which I look forward to sharing soon.

3. mlotziii

Here's a huge rainbow that was caught close by to where I was fishing. Didn't see any monsters like this where I was fishing but they are definitely there. http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/fishingreport/single.asp?ID=3873

Last year I had a rainbow run my line out for a good 5 minute fight before it spit the hook and split-back at me. But that was what I get for trying to video while reeling in a monster.